Hello, my reader friend. Regardless of when I end up posting this, I need you to believe that I wrote this after the first time I watched Seventeen’s latest Japanese release, 24H. This was released on August 24, 2020, and I haven’t seen any teasers. Yes, for the first time ever (I think), I’m going into this one blind. Not gonna lie, I’m a little scared. I have just finished revisiting Heng:garæ because I cannot in good conscience listen to the latest release without posting about it, so that will give you an idea of when I wrote this, and now I’m just holding off on watching the MV, so I’ll get on with it.
Thoughts while watching (warning: incoherent fangirling, but I still kept the editing to a minimum):
- Coups as the first person to appear, I wasn’t prepared!
- OMG THAT WAS WHY my Twitter feed was screaming about Mingyu!
- Wonwoo has discovered his power in a crop top and now we’re all in danger *laughs nervously*
- Those body waves by Minghao! I had to pause at this point because it’s too deep in the night (or early in the morning, depending on how you look at it) for me to handle this.
- I love Jeonghan’s voice in this.
- Jihoon’s too! And that sharp gaze when he did that clock move! Stoooooop
- I love their interactive choreography (by which I mean the way they play off each other and interact with each other in their dance).
- Vernon’s voice was so smooth.
- S.Coups’ smirk is my weakness ahahaha.
- …but Joshua smirking and looking THAT confident is something I won’t be ready for! What a nice surprise, good job Joshua!
- Jun’s vocals are also nicely utilized!
- (At this point I am just zoning out into the music video so I’ll be back maybe at my second round of viewing because THERE WILL BE ONE. Maybe even more, I need to process this hahaha)
- Wait, I’m still on my first round but Mingyu’s bridge part is so sexy and awesome I had to note it down!
- Ok, brb for real. I think?
Ok, I’m done with watching the music video for the first time. I have to say, I love the vibe this song has, and the confidence all of them exude in the music video, and even in their vocals. I’ll listen to the song and watch the MV again, maybe for a few more times, and let’s hope I can get some coherent thoughts from it this time. I’m not gonna edit the notes above (I did, just a bit, for some slight coherence, but not a lot), because that’s an honest look at my fangirl brain. Take it! (Can you tell it’s 4am as I’m writing this?)
So, let me try this again? I love the guitar (?) sound they used at the start, and I think in the verse, and then how it transitions to a bass-like beat sound at the chorus. I really think this track and the music video exudes confidence. I did mention Jeonghan’s voice, and I think what I like is the way his voice is strong in this song, especially when he sings his first “24 hour” in the first chorus, I believe. I also am a bit amused at how they quite obviously play upon Jeonghan’s popularity in Japan, because he is, once again, the one closing the song (even if S.Coups is the last one we see in the video). I checked Fallin’ Flower and I think Jun closes the song in that one, but the sentiment remains.
I also noticed that Joshua was center in the next chorus at the part where they do that darn body wave (see me freaking out when I saw The8/Minghao do it the first time up in the notes above), and that was…something. I’ve always talked about the development of Jeonghan and Joshua over the years and throughout their discography, and this is yet another rung in their ladder of improvement to further greatness.
While Mingyu had probably the greatest impact on me visually (I don’t know, that hairstyle was simply amazing), I also think he had quite some more lines here, or even if they weren’t that many, they were so strategic that it brings quite an impact, so he’s bound to be remembered. I am not sure about Dino’s lines but I did notice him, he had quite the gaze too. I think maybe the main vocalists stepped back a bit, but I am not sure, and it could just be on screentime.
I also checked the English translation of the lyrics, and if the source I stumbled upon was correct, this is a pretty sultry track, which goes well with the music and the music video, and all the vibes I was getting makes more sense. Seventeen’s Japanese releases are really quite amazing, and I do tend to like them a lot (sometimes maybe even more than their Korean ones). I don’t think this will be my favorite Japanese track from them, we shall see, but this is still a really great one. And oh my gosh that video. It just attacked me. I was right to be scared! :))
Have you checked Seventeen’s 24H? What do you think of it? Do check it out if you’re interested, and I hope you enjoy it! I’ll go back to finally checking my Twitter feed which I avoided because of spoilers, to see how my co-Carats fared. I don’t think they’re ok, but in a good way, I’m pretty sure. See you next time!